Semantic Feature Analysis
Students learn 1,000 to 4,000 new words each year!
Teaching vocabulary results in:
- Improved reading comprehension
- Improved writing
- Improved word recognition and decoding
- Increased general intelligence.
One way to check prior knowledge and explore word relationships is to create a Semantic Feature Analysis Chart (insert chart with example).
Follow these steps:
- Select a topic
- Provide key vocabulary words and features
- List vocabulary words on left column of the grid and semantic features across the top row of the grid
- Place a checkmark if the vocabulary word aligns with each feature
Students can also take this information to write a paragraph on the topic that was chosen! You can even create a research project out of it.